Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Great Waves and the Great Caravan Breakup

After weeks of sunny flat beaches on the Sea of Cortez, we finally found some waves. We've been squatting (quite literally) at an abandoned RV Park just south of Todos Santos for the past five days. Apparently the once plush beachside San Pedrito has been pummeled in the last three hurricanes and is now all but abandoned. We bumped down the washboard side road to find about 10-20 gringos enjoying the beachfront camping at a top notch break. Some of the campers have apparently been living there for months, drunk all day and playing the world's longest bacci ball tournament. The stay has been filled with great surf, big BBQs, raging bonfires, and some mindblowing sunsets. This is the first stop that feels as good as I imagined the trip to be.



Did I mention that there were some good waves.


Rachel finally got a chance to try out her new beautiful longboard, and we both got the cobwebs out of our shoulders. It's amazing how much of your paddle you can lose with 6 months of no surfing.


Getting to Todos Santos was a significant accomplishment for us, as we have finally hit The Tropics. The water is getting warmer and my belly is only getting a little larger. The town itself is a kinda weird Gringo settlement in the middle of Baja. The bars and hotels are named after Eagles songs and the place is teeming with well-off Hip-a-Yuppies. This means that basically every artist and artisan has moved out to Todos to fill up the Gringos' second homes with some of the nicest folk art I have seen yet in Baja. But the nicest thing about Todos is its natural beauty.




So Todos Santos was pretty much feeling like total paradise, until a cruel twist of fate brought an end to our caravan. Apparently not everyone was fond of us squatters. Someone appears to have dumped sugar into the gas cans of our caravan buddies, Chris and Tyler, taking out their dirtbikes. The end result was a rather frustrating early departure for the boys from Orcas Island. It was an enjoyable and unexpected experience meeting and hanging out with them for this much of the trip. They will be missed.


After this refreshing stop we are now headed down to Cabo to dip a toe in the overcrowded waters. After that it's back to La Paz to catch a boat to the mainland. We will miss Baja but we are both looking forward to some fresh culture, climate, and comida on the mainland.




- JJ

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news about the waves. The hats look great. The sunset is spectacular. Too bad about
your friends. Where'd they go?

love you, Mom

2/14/07, 7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beware of El Guapo and his plethora of pinatas. Safe travels.

Jefe

2/14/07, 12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys. If you get kidnapped, talk your captors into letting you continue the Blog. You'll then be able to give us your LAT/LONG or address so we will be able to support you with airdropped gift baskets and letters of hope and well wishes. I am joking around of course,...If you really got kidnapped, they probably wouldn't let you continue the Blog......Anyway, enjoy the surf and everything. We Love You.
THE EVANGELISTAS

2/14/07, 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys. If you get kidnapped, talk your captors into letting you continue the Blog. You'll then be able to give us your LAT/LONG or address so we will be able to support you with airdropped gift baskets and letters of hope and well wishes. I am joking around of course,...If you really got kidnapped, they probably wouldn't let you continue the Blog......Anyway, enjoy the surf and everything. We Love You.
THE EVANGELISTAS

2/14/07, 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoever posts anything twice stupid.

2/14/07, 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to breakup with your Caravan. Especially on Valentine's Day. I know you must be feeling a little jealous when you see crews of happy winnebago's riding around on the wonder that is the Mexican Highway System. However, keep your collective chins up - there are more caravans in the sea. However, since they are in the sea, perhaps they are called fleets.

Tender Love and Kisses,
JR

2/15/07, 2:05 PM  
Blogger Jaimers said...

JR that is true poetry! Looks pretty rad. I am glad you guys are getting to surf now..that is a nice board Rach.. when you come back to Maui you should bring it and we can ride the sweet surf of Cove. Peace out.

2/15/07, 5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool!

it looks like you're having such an amazing time. i miss u guyses

2/15/07, 10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys its Tyler! I miss hanging out down there with you guys. Its cool you made it to la paz. after we left you two it was bad luck all the way up.We made it to la paz after lunch with you guys. on the way out the next day chris and I got pulled over for not stopping at an imaginary stop sign. Chris paid 80 bucks and I told him he is only getting 30 because I had no more money. Then we made it back to Zulamas in one day. We showed up and the place was packed.Do to valentines day. Which I meet a cute girl from oregon, down meeting her dad for the first time. But her dad cockblocked me. But I am going to visit her on my way up. The next day we made it to Pabellion were we meet you guys. Its a fucking long drive. The next morning we headed up to the border. Coming out of ensenada my car racks broke and flew off, surf boards and kayak all over the freeway. a cop was there in seconds and thank god no one got hurt or I would be in a mexican prison for life. More importantly my surf boards were fine. just a broken fin. When chris pulled over to help me he got a flat tire. with no shoulder on the road it sucked. we reached tijuana, I had my kayak sticking out the back of my canopy. It was late and dark. I was following chris and a cop pulled me over for having a kayak sticking out. Chris didnt see me and I had no money. I told the cop my story and he said he wanted money or I would get a ticket. I said chris had all my money. He called three more cops over and decided to let me go. I told him sweet slingshot. Dont drive in tijauna at night. Well take care and good luck. Keep in touch. Oh yeah happy b-day Rach.
Tyler
Ps: I have been riding super tubes up her in San Diego

2/19/07, 3:26 PM  
Blogger rc yes ke said...

hey guys

sorry to hear about your breakup with the washington part of your crew. it was fun hanging out with you all for a couple days. i made it down to cabo a few days after leaving todos and flew back to vancouver via LA. i was missing mexico as soon as i was on the alaska airlines 737 in cabo.

hope things continue to rock on the mainland, and further south.

feliz viajes
ryan (cycletourist from vancouver)

2/23/07, 9:03 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

WOW! i wanna be like you when i grow up!!! I hope i get to see you in real life soon!
Love,
MElissa Davenport, formally known as melissa spenser

p.s. greg is my brother and this is his blog. and he also thinks what you guys are doing is pretty cool!

3/21/07, 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home