Saturday, January 13, 2007

Who's Exciiiiited?


Typhoid live culture pills? Check. Arm-breaking tetanus shots? Check. Malaria Medication? Check...

We are within reach of being road-ready for the next portion of our adventure. Nauseating vaccinations coupled with another barrage of car "improvements" leave us gouged and almost ready for life on the road once again. Our plan? To drive as far as the Panama Canal and back. We will venture down Baja, take a ferry to mainland Mexico, and drive down the Pacific Coast through Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. We plan to hit the Carribean side on the way back, spending time in Honduras and Belize before our round trip through Mexico. On the agenda is learning Spanish via an immersion program, surfing, diving, and general exploration while being drenched in 40% Deet mosquito repellant and 50 spf sunscreen.

We will be updating the blog as often as we can, even if it's just to say, we are OK and haven't encountered any flesh-craving jaguars as of yet. I have visions of us reenacting scenes from Apocalypto amid Mayan ruins while befriending spider monkeys (except for the Rabies part, oh, and the Head Rolling part) and surfing perfect rights with not a soul in sight. When I try to wrap my head around this trip I almost feel overwhelmed, then I remember: we have already conquered double the ground during our North America shenanigans. We are road-seasoned, one with He who is Günther. Or, should we change it to Guntero? Ahead lies even more adventure to be excited and exhilerated by, and I can't wait for us to live it.

Please check out the links on the top right: People's Guide to Mexico and Drive Me Loco, for info on the trip by weathered experts. Our departure date is sometime next week, please keep in touch with us and always feel free to comment on the blog by clicking the "comments" link on the bottom of each entry.

Hasta luego,
Rach & Joe

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are almost ready to leave. Right now it feels like you're going to Mars and Gunther is the space ship! So unknown and unpredictable. We will be waiting for those blogs, so no long silences allowed!

We will be praying for you, as always, and though we are nervous about this trip, we are also exciiited for you. We know you've got some great adventures ahead and that God looks over you.
Much love, MOM

1/16/07, 12:03 PM  
Blogger Crystal Miller said...

Whooo hooo...can't wait to hear the next round of adventures....Nick and I are avid followers of your travels ( I even have one of my friends reading your blog now)...Our bags are packed so come by and pick us up will ya? =] Safe travels you two!

1/16/07, 10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lengua tacos are your friend. Eat them. Love them.

1/17/07, 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, you two! I printed a picture I took of the two of you at Grandpa Ken's - it is up on my desk; next to my computer - I will keep you in my thoughts and PRAYERS - Mexico! Wow - scary to me. Love you both - Grandma Sara

1/17/07, 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

1/20/07, 9:40 AM  
Blogger Liza on Maui said...

Two things you must not forget:
1) mosquito repellant
2) bottled water
(ok, make that 3, add immodium in case you forgot your bottled drinking water, you drunk the water from the restaurant and diarrhea strikes!)


It's me Liza (a.k.a. Bradley's wifey). Yes, I got sucked into blogging and is now a certified blog addict. In case joey's maui mama read this, I just want her to know that I have already joined Bloggers Anonymous, I have a support group (seriously, their link is on my blog sidebar) wherein I can celebrate recovery ;)

Good luck on your trip Joey and Rachel. Keep us posted!

1/21/07, 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home