Sunday, February 18, 2007

Carnival Meat


In a few hours we will embark on our 20-hour ferry ride from the beautiful city of La Paz to mainland Mexico. We lucked out and caught the city at the perfect time, right in the midst of their colorful and strange Carnival.


We spent two nights bumbling along, shoulder-to-shoulder among thousands of people young and old. Among the sea of cowboy hats, men and women burst into spontaneous dance, peddled goods, and feasted on pastry delights and strung-up meats.



We dodged drunkards wielding chili-rimmed styrofoam cups, blasted our eardrums with blaring speakers, and watched with bizarre fascination as blanket salesman spasmodically auctioned while folding and unfolding giant blankets decorated with tigers, eagles, and large mythical beasts. Needless to say, it was a good time.




Now we can leave with a vague sense of accomplishment after exploring the entire Baja penisula, coast to coast, norte to sur. What a beautiful chunk of land. However, I do look forward to greenery, and a relief from wiping down Guntero's formaica'd surfaces with their daily fresh coat of desert dust.






-Rach

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Rachiepoo!!! I hope the 20 hour ferry ride is the best gift you've ever received :) but I'm sure it will be worth it. Looks like things are going well so far...like always, wish i was with you. Although I'm sure I could round up some blanket salesmen and hanging meat if I really wanted to.

HAPPY HAPPY DAY!!! I LOVE YOU!!

2/19/07, 8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday lucretia!!

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2/19/07, 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Rach!! So excited to see you guys doing so well and finally finding some surf!! I love your board. It looks exactly how you described it to me. The pictures from Todos look amazing. I am definitely using them as my computer background. Best wishes to you guys as you continue your journey! We miss you!
-Fifinuger Q

2/19/07, 9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK - I'm thinking I need a photo of the "ferry" that you will be on for 20 hours. I have my own vain imaginations going on here.

AV

PS: Obviously it is your bithday Rachel - have a great one!

2/20/07, 1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel...we are on our way to VA to see Chase and Clare. We wish we could see you but we all wish you a very happy birthday and apologize for it being a week late. We think you are a truly amazing girl--kind, good, talented, beautiful, and you bring a lot of joy to our son. Blessings on you both...Love, Joe and Karen

2/21/07, 10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rach, One the pics made it look like you buzzed your hair. am i imagining things?

Feliz Cumplianos a qi

miss you guys.

did you go to langauage school? are you becoming a native speaker? Keep blogging. Cause I check the page often

Love you guys

Jim

2/22/07, 3:00 PM  
Blogger Lindsalon said...

Hi Guys! I have finally recovered my login info so i can post and send you a message :) I posted a pic of my new baby (bigtimehikers.blogspot.com) - I can't wait until you can meet him. Yes, he is a munchkin and his legs are very wee. I hope you can find him a munchkin pancho or sombrero out there in mexican-land. LOVE LINDSI

2/22/07, 6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY RACHI-RACH!!! We miss you guys already but still have fun living vicariously through your blog. Did you have a fun birthday on your ferry ride? ;) stay safe and stay having fun. i can really tell you guys are enjoying your adventures and that makes me happy.

love you,
kenz and jim ;)

2/22/07, 7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home