Saturday, August 19, 2006

Anybody have a spare figurine of Christopher the Patron Saint of Travel?



Cause if you have one I'll shoot you. HAHA. Get it. Its like that terrible, and yes terribly overrated film Crash. Or as I like to call it Poor Man's Magnolia. Or as I also like to call it Grand Canyon - Racism Edition.

A lot has happened since I last blogged. We watched Crash (did I mention I'm embarassed to be from the same country as that film), we toured Vancouver Island (radness), we stayed overnight in a Walmart parking lot (for all you Walmart haters both Rachel and I relieved ourselves in the lot), and I spent my 27th birthday stranded on the side of the road and in an RV Park.

In fact Rachel and I are still currently residing in that very RV park in Fort St John. For those not familiar, its a small city in Northeast BC that was born to pass through. Its basically all gas stations and auto shops held together by its spine, The Alcan. The Alcan is the final 1,390 mile stretch through BC, the Yukon, and thru to Alaska. In short, there ain't much to do here except fish without a license, and we are here for at least 5 days total. How did this happen you ask?



Well, basically the one thing I didnt want to happen did. I was prepared for a blow out on the Alcan, after all we've already gone through 2 tires, but an entire wheel flying off at 70 MPH caught us a bit by surprise. Basically the tire threw a pin and it sent our right rear tire flying about 25 yards into the forest. In the process of stopping we ground off about 6 inches from the bottom of our right rear axle. So basically we are holed up in a tent waiting for our incredibly foreign VW parts to arrive.

I hope this post doesnt come across totally negative. The main thing is that we are safe. AAA coverted the tow. And we found an amazing mechanic who found all the replacement parts in good shape from a wrecking yard. He saved us about $300. Come Monday night we should be able to reattempt the Alcan.

Thanks everyone for the birthday love.

- JJ

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

For you on your birthday, a fitting invocation/damnation of St. Christopher from Tom Waits:

Hang on st. christopher through the smoke
and the oil
Buckle down the rumble seat
let the radiator boil
got an overhead downshift
and a two dollar grill
got an 85 cabin
on an 85 hill
Hang on st. christopher on the passenger side
open it up tonight the devil can ride
hang on st. christopher with a barrel house dog
kick me up mt. baldy
throw me out in the fog
tear a hole in the jack pot
drive a stake through his heart
do a 100 on the grapevine
do a jump on the start
hang on st. christopher now don't let me go
get me to reno and bring it in low, yeah
hang on st. christopher with the hammer to the floor
put a hi ball in the crank case
nail a crow to the door
get a bottle for the jockey
gimme a 294
there's a 750 norton bustin down january's door
hang on st. christopher on the passenger side
open it up tonight the devil can ride
hang on st. christopher now don't let me go
get to me reno got to bring it in low
put my baby on the flat car
got to burn down the caboose
get 'em all jacked up on whiskey
then we'll turn the mad dog loose
hang on st. christopher on the passenger side
open it up tonight the devil can ride

8/20/06, 2:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy b-day my man. Same day you posted this blog, Marie and I got run off the road on our first day in Ireland by a tour bus, hit a pothole and shredded a tire. The rest of the trip was a hell of a lot better. So I feel your pain and congratulate your optimism.

9/4/06, 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home