Wednesday, August 16, 2006

In the Words of Calvin and Hobbes, Yukon Ho!


Günther, the Mighty, is well on his way to Alaska, via B.C.'s beautiful Caribou Coast. I'm feeling a bit distraught, as our camping gear just gave out with a good five days' drive till we reach the big Gold A. So instead of blogging down with vanagon woes that will undoubtedly increase as the journey continues, I leave you with some delectable tidbits of life on the road.


Mice in the Night.
Need I say more? Camping near Whistler, Joe and I could not determine that oh-so-close crackling sound disturbing our slumber. Was it a badger outside? Bears? A crazy Mountie? A quick flick of the MagLite at 4am, and our trespasser(s) scurried below. Not one, no not even two, but less than seven, little furry beasts scampered about in a carb-induced craze, jubilantly munching our bread and granola. It was a feast! Those dirty little rats, er..., mice. Gross.

Those Spitter-Splatters on the Windshield.
Driving through scenic mountains and valleys in BC, Joe and I were with high spirits and open windows. Suddenly an unusually frequent barrage of splatters plastered the glass. It continued, a freak cloud of bugs bouncing to and fro, then we realized: Bees. Awesome. Referencing Joe's earlier blog on Pork Paw, it was no surprise to turn my head and see him extending 2/3 of his body out the window, trying to flick the death bombs off his crotch and legs. Then I managed to stay on the road while he flicked one off my elbow. No officer, I swear, a cloud of bees.


Tim Horton's.
Okay, I know this may not be funny to anyone, but in Canada they have this chain named Tim Horton's. They serve coffee and donuts. To fit in, Joe and I have adopted Canadian accents and try to ask the locals "Hey, uh, where can I find the nearest Timmy Horton's?" Just try and say it. With a Canadian accent. Timmy Hortons. I swear, it's funny.

To the Yukon and beyond!

-R

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Guys

Love you Pics. I am so jealous. I keep telling MAC that we have to drive that coast. thinking about you guys often.

Jim A

8/16/06, 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Guys

Love you Pics. I am so jealous. I keep telling MAC that we have to drive that coast. thinking about you guys often.

Jim A

8/16/06, 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel and Joe! you are wonderful writers and what great adventures you've had! Thanks for sharing, I start school tomorrow and you're cruising the world. awesome! love you :)

8/16/06, 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops...i forgot to say love jenni b :)

8/16/06, 4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the words of Dr. Berman, "It's a boy!". A fine strapping one at that. So sweet, with a wrinkle in his nose, and a cry like a newborn kitten. So funny as he balanced on his father's palm. Such a delight as he grew into a man in a van 27 years later! Happy Birthday to our favorite son and happy travels always,
Much love, MOM and DAD

8/16/06, 8:49 PM  
Blogger Jaimers said...

Happy Birthday Bro! Getting older and crazier! I wish I was there to hug you and squeeze you! Love you. PS Rach I ran into Nate at the Kaahumanu Mall, weird huh. Small world eh!

8/17/06, 1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birdie Joey, er Birthday that is (man, I've got to quit watching so much golf on TV). Anyhow I hope the mice didn't get any of your birthday cake. Melissa and I love reading the adventures that you and Rachel are sharing with us. Keep up the good work.

Tommy Boy

8/18/06, 1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home