Friday, August 25, 2006

I think Alcan, I think Alcan...Alcan Alcan Alcan:


....a feat beyond our fondest expectations. When we chitchat with the locals about how gravel spewn by passing cars cracked our windshield in two places, they chuckle. As we explain how our wheel fell off, they yawn. And when we frantically motion with our hands to depict the roadway flight of the caribou, their eyes glaze over and they mumble something about killin a moose and cutting it in four pieces to lift the 500 lb animal into their truck for dinner.




Yes, we've finally arrived in Alaska! We're getting hopped up on free coffee right now in Fairbanks- home of the Aurora Borealis and mosquitos the size of small bats. We've set up camp and breathed a heavy, collective sigh of relief that we reached one of our most remote destinations.


For those who haven't been, Alaska is gigantic. Seriously, everything about it is massive. The horizon stretches for 720 degrees with mountains straight out of How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The sun never ceases and the beard to bear ratio is off the charts. Besides marveling at the picturesque drive up, so far we've visited the Museum of the North (a lovely and informative taxidermy graveyard), made the best home cooked fajita burritos in Alaska's history, and watched migrating cranes glide with grace over a sanctuary that permits hunting and trapping.



It's strange, but it's as if the moment we arrived the pressure had been lifted. As much as this trip has involved abandoning our careers and social responsibilities, we still felt pressured to reach Alaska before the end of August. It's the metaphorical stamp to legitimize this grandiose ruote. Well, 2 vans and 3 tires later we can quote Dubya in saying, "Mission Accomplished". On second thought we still have 20,000 miles to go, and Dubya still has a war to win.


Regardless, it feels like we can finally relax. We're going to chase the remaining "summer" weather, down through Denali, to Anchorage, and south to the Kenai peninsula to catch the tail end of the salmon run. BTW if you get a huge cold package from Alaska over-nighted, open it sooner rather than later.

PS. We are finally back on the grid so we uploaded photos from our past posts. Also we are back in cell phone country for those that would like to reach out and touch us.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys! Sorry it's taken me so long to get on your blog and write you. By the way...do you know how hard it is to read your whole blog (so far anyway) in chronological order? You have to scroll all the way to the bottom and then go back up a little, then go to the next section by scrolling up, then scroll down again...I gave up and just read it backwards! LOL

Sounds like you two have been busy! It's amazing reading, really wish you guys had a Gunther cam or something and could show clips of the crazy bees and devil crack-head bike-thief. Rach, your hair is getting really long, I like it. :o) Sounds like it's been a huge feat arriving in Alaska, you must feel pretty damn accomplished...I'm really proud of you guys. By the way, I didn't realize you were both such eloquent writers...I feel like I'm reading some Henry Thoreau short stories or something (did Thoreau even write short stories? that UCLA English minor really did wonders didn't it?)

Matt and I just got back from Tavarua. Though nothing compared to your adventures, I did manage to get my self legitimately tubed for the first time in my life. Pretty ecstatic about that...Matt was extremely proud (and relieved that I didn't become reef-pizza and then strangle him for screaming at me "pull-in you candy-ass") He claims he was only giving me constructive peer pressure...right.

Well, I'm sure this comment section isn't for pouring out all my nonsense to the public, so I just want you both to know that I miss you both and hope you are having fun and being careful.

Love,
Marge

8/26/06, 12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glory be to the saints and sinners!!!
YOU DID IT! Celebration time!!! Willie Nelson had it right: "On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again..." We're so happy for you!!!

Reading about you guys is the best serial novel ever. Thanks for all the entertainment value. Anticipating more pictures of caribou, etc.

PS... Happy thought from Schizophrenics Anonymous--Whistler back in the works...more to follow....

Alaska rules!
Much love on the Alcan, MOM

8/26/06, 9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys congrats on reaching alaska!! sorry we haven't written but our computer crashed. stupid piece! Ok here's a thought on how you can fit in with locals (now that your windshield is cracked you are practically a local already)... Joe, you can say that rach is an eskimo princess and in order to win her fathers approval you had to wrestle 2 bears, tame a wild caribou, catch a salmon with a blade of grass, and build a model igloo out of ice cubes. Or not. Is it too early for northern lights? alright you guys take care.
jay

8/26/06, 11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey guys! wow, your pictures are amazing. i should find some way to integrate your trip into my curriculum. that'd be fun! well, i can only imagine how much you've learned about the country and about yourselves and about each other already! oh, i love the emo, sad pic of you two...anyway, i miss you. rachel, email me some time. i'd like to hear some personal stories, how you're doing, etc. i love you both and you're in my prayers. love, jennib :)

8/28/06, 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, my girlfriend at work went to Alaska too and she said it was beautiful but very ghetto... in news here my older sister had the surrogate babies, Sivert and Selma. he was natural but she had to come out C-Section, they're on their way to Norway with thier dads this week. My sister got real sick after with an enlarged heart and high blood pressure and almost died, but she is finally at home and healing, what a crazy ordeal. I saw Nate at Cha-Cha-Cha's last week but I was drunk and got shy and didn't say hi, but I wanted to. I would have been incohearent though so maybe it's best! Made me miss you though, guess what also, Megan has started a mutiny crafter's at her house with girls from MOCA. Megan, it you're reading this, I'm sorry, but it is a mutiny. We'll have rival craft gangs. I'll be good with an x-acto and rachel can be deadly with a crochet hook.
LOVE LINDSEY

8/29/06, 8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, my girlfriend at work went to Alaska too and she said it was beautiful but very ghetto... in news here my older sister had the surrogate babies, Sivert and Selma. he was natural but she had to come out C-Section, they're on their way to Norway with thier dads this week. My sister got real sick after with an enlarged heart and high blood pressure and almost died, but she is finally at home and healing, what a crazy ordeal. I saw Nate at Cha-Cha-Cha's last week but I was drunk and got shy and didn't say hi, but I wanted to. I would have been incohearent though so maybe it's best! Made me miss you though, guess what also, Megan has started a mutiny crafter's at her house with girls from MOCA. Megan, it you're reading this, I'm sorry, but it is a mutiny. We'll have rival craft gangs. I'll be good with an x-acto and rachel can be deadly with a crochet hook.
LOVE LINDSEY

8/29/06, 8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you must be in the middle of nowhere cause no more blogs for awhile...hope you are safe, sound and enjoying your trip. miss you much. wanted to hang out on sunday but no more rachel and joe in la :( sad.

love you guys,
kenz

8/29/06, 2:18 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

You guys look different. Extra-lean. Weary.
Are you eating right?

8/31/06, 2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachie! Sounds like you guys are having an amazing time. I can't wait until you come through Chicago, we'll be here waiting. Can't wait to meet Joe. Take care guys and be safe.
We love you! The Grants

9/2/06, 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al can what? What can Al do and who is Al? Hmmmm.

9/3/06, 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home