Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Wild Beasts of the Wild Wilderness


On our very last day in Alaska I wanted to take one more shot at fishing. We had gone countless times, without a whopper salmon of success. When the alarm went off at 8am, Joe refused to get up. So I took the canoe out solo, without much hope in my heart.


Then I got a bite. A really, really, strong fish was tugging at my line. I tried to reel him in, then my heart started pounding when he got near the surface because this guy was HUUUGE. There I was, floating in the canoe, literally being pulled around in circles. This went on for about ten minutes. Some guys on the docks nearby started laughing and watching, me not knowing what to do as I spun around. Finally I managed to paddle over to the docks with one hand, where a fisherman helped me net the salmon. Success! My very first fish! I paddled away and plotted on slipping the fish next to sleepy Joe.


We took it over to Bob and Mary's, the nice couple who lent us the canoe. We had a ferry to catch in two hours, and a monster fish on our hands.


Bob, our honorary mayor of Haines, fileted the massive beast and cooked him right up. We had yummy salmon in our bellies, some for the road (boat), and a present for our awesome hosts. All and all, an excellent last day.


p.s. I uploaded some pics to the last two photoless entries.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow ... That fish is HUUUGE.

JR

10/11/06, 9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

daaaaaaaaaymn...
joephus just got schooled.
by a girl!!!

or more of a man-girl.

10/12/06, 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a man-girl.

10/12/06, 1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photos are absolutely amazing!
Thanks for sharing them.

Jeri & Cliff

10/14/06, 1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel---you are awesome!!! You are a role model for women everywhere! What initiative! What ingenuity! What perseverance! What generosity! What an impressive photo of a giant salmon!

Yum and congratulations!!
Love, Karen

10/14/06, 8:20 AM  
Blogger Crystal Miller said...

Amazing job Rach!

Wowee! How much did that sucker weigh?

10/16/06, 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have inside knowledge that the picture is a fake. You will be brought down and exposed once and for all when you hippies get to VA.

10/16/06, 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, it is a fake picture. These two are utilizing some of the same technology NASA used to fake the Apollo moon landings.

10/16/06, 2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that all of the pictures are fakes and that Joe and Rachel are living in a windowless studio apartment somewhere in Bakersfield.

10/18/06, 4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Joe & Rachel,

Great pictures!! We ate the half of the salmon ourselves. It was delicious, of course, but only tasted better because Rachel caught it.Happy to hear that your van is in better health. Take care and be safe.

Love, Mary & Bob

10/20/06, 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow! No...I should say "Holy Salmon!" Rach...you are my hero for reeling that sucker in!! Chica, if there was a moment I wish I could've been right there with you, it'd be in that canoe watching you man-handle that fish. Alaska looks beautiful, I'm glad you were able to get the car back on the road. Hugs to you and JJ.

10/31/06, 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home