Sunday, May 20, 2007

Brudders, Part 1


My apologies if this blog is under par; somehow the boombastic sounds of reggaeton echoing across our hostel walls isn't the most conducive to creative genius. Our hosts "forgot" to mention the nightly discoteca 20 feet from our room and their mission to share the gift that is reggaeton to all, at all hours of the night.


Those annoyances aside, we've been having an awesome time so far with my sibs. We've taken the time to study physics. Namely, we've tested the velocity of pier-jumping,





Buoyancy,


Balance,


And spatial relations between human bodies and bat caves.


It turns out that bats and humans can coexist, although preferably not. However, if you do need to squeeze your body into their evil lair, I would recommend crawling while covering your head with both hands and squeezing your eyes shut. This may scramble their sonar.


We've made our way quite a bit north, and have crossed back into Guatemala after a few days' journey to Utila in the Bay Islands of Honduras. These islands are a unique blend of Creole, Honduran, and black Caribbean. Most people on the island are speaking this crazy language that is supposed to be English, but sounds rarely decipherable and like everyones tongue have been dipped in molasses. Really interesting. There's a nice slow pace to life, and food portions that make it even more difficult to hustle.




Oh my goodness. Really, the beats, they just don't stop. I'll try to get some sleep.
- Rach

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any pics from the islands of molasses tongues?

5/21/07, 8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...as I am living vicariously through you guys now that I have departed from the trip.

5/21/07, 8:36 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

wow

Pictures are wonderful. I am so glad that you are spending time with spen and nate. It must be really nice. Looking forward to seeing you both soon - whenever you get home. Have fun...

5/21/07, 9:26 AM  
Blogger Jaimers said...

I like the pier pictures..leave it to Nate to look beautiful when he jumps..the bat cave picture is pretty sweet too. When I went to Jamaica they blasted reggae on huge speakers all night long into the whole city no sleep at all..I feel your pain..love and miss you..

5/21/07, 12:04 PM  
Blogger Lindsalon said...

I desire piggy-pig bank!

5/21/07, 2:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Quiro un banco del cerdo tambien!

Senior Juan

5/21/07, 2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaime took my comment... the all-night reggae in Jamaica was insane... a little intense for 9th graders on a mission trip... I think it did permanent psychological damage. Miss you two! Stay safe. XOXO- Weenus

5/22/07, 8:34 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

you two are actually starting to look diferent from how I remember you when you left....maybe it's the tan....hurry home but take your time. I love the gazelle shots...nice try, joe, on your special jump pose.... Did i hear a "nubingu" as you jumped? Rachel I miss you too. You always seem so classy in these photos! Papa D.

5/24/07, 1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nate is so graceful. love it. love you. miss you. see you soon? we're still sitting around here in l.a.

5/24/07, 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um...that last comment was from me, mackenzie. i'm not sure what happened there. k. hasta luego, mi amigos! (i suck at spanish - sorry for poor spelling of words)

5/24/07, 8:28 PM  
Blogger Crystal Miller said...

Hi tan friends. Nice to see you guys are catching up with some family too.

Your pictures capture so much of your adventure. I love it!

5/26/07, 10:54 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

if im not mistaken, Spencer and Nate have return to America and we have not seen a "Braddahs Part 2". What the Hell? You get our hopes up thinking that we have this exciting series to look forward too and then the let down. I need blogs. I require blogs. I need to live through you so give my life meaning. By the way, LA in the Spring is acutually not so bad. Love and you miss you guys - come home soon. Jim

5/28/07, 12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home